Wednesday, March 12, 2008

True Reflection


I ran across this picture of my boys and found that I was totally enthralled at how accurate this is for my two oldest boys. This was from Thanksgiving Day when we played a huge game of flag football in a field behind my brother and sister inlaws house in Nashville. We had a blast - there was hot chocolate, plenty of food and much fun going on. For those too cold...the parade was on inside. Something for everyone!! So when I saw this picture, I immediately had fond memories. But then, I began to look closer at the fact that Scout and Nick are truly racing. They are running with purpose against each other. I wonder what they were thinking. The look on Nick's face is one of determination. He IS going to block his brother. I am sure this was probably right after Scout caught a pass and ran it down the field for a touchdown. That was sweet for Scout. Nick and Scout always seem to be running against each other. At times, we see them enjoying each other for a bit. But on most days, you'll find them on opposite sides of the field. I know there is competition between them. And, as I've said before - they are VERY different. I wish I could get them to understand (Um...we've tried many times) that they truly are wasting years of memories when they don't take advantage of the time they have together right now.

Sometimes, Scout can say NOTHING right - and other days Nick is the meanest brother Scout can imagine having. They each complain about the other one. To other kids, they are both amazing friends. They are giving, patient, considerate and fun...to other people. But to each other, they withhold those emotions on most days. Why?

1 Corinthians 13:4&5 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs.

If you know me and my children, please feel free to remind them that love does not seek to harm or ignore others. Love does everything that 1 Corinthians 13:4 & 5 says. It is a challenge teaching siblings to love each other. Sounds crazy, but sometimes it is true. We are committed to reminding our boys of this and we will take any help you can give!!!

Wow....could this picture speak any louder? Let's just hope they don't get louder...as they get older! In all seriousness, they are GREAT boys. I just want them to realize the friend that God has given each of them within each other.

1 comment:

Kelly J said...

ok. First of all I am SO not Ken responding, I will fix that soon :) I am so glad that you found this picture of the boys. I thought the exact same thing when I scrolled through them all. What an honest, pure, powerful moment she caught! That picture really does explain these brothers relationship in a nutshell..."most" of the time! This picture truly makes me smile! It may seem as though they are always at odds, always in competition, that they are missing out on a great relationship with each other, but I really do believe that this is what makes them endearing to one another. This brotherly competition will turn them into men...who will one day respect each other, and WILL become really great friends. Sports competitors, when in the game, seem to be at serious odds with one another, it can almost come across as a hatred...but then you find out that off the field, they have the utmost respect for one another,are good friends and couldn't imagine "competing" with anyone else. You see, it's the other person, the other "contender" that make them stronger. They need this time. Soon, they will be "off the field" and will begin to appreciate the other's qualities. Shan, you are a praying momma who stands on the faith that they will be close friends and will see eachothers' needs.I am in agreement with you! In the meantime, you just keep doing what your doing...and God will continue what He is doing in them too!!! Love you! Kelly